[Librem-5-dev] Building for arm

Maxim Linkov fehhner at Safe-mail.net
Wed Oct 3 06:10:11 PDT 2018

Hello, everybody!

My name is Maxim Linkov, I'm trying to build phosh for armhf (my portable Raspberry Pi) but unable to register to ask questions. To be honest, there is a lack of info :(

First I was trying to upgrade my Raspbian to Buster, but it is always broken after update, so I've stopped on installing Ubuntu Mate [arm] and upgrading it to 18.04 (bionical) and adding Debian testing repo to acquire necessary fresh libraries.
Aftrer building libhandy, I got to manually check dependencies to add missing and got this list (not sure, mb something exessive a little bit):

libupower-glib-dev ctags libwayland-server0 libwayland-dev
wayland-protocols libcogl-gles2-dev libgles2  libgles2-mesa-dev libinput-dev libinput-bin
libsystemd-dev libavutil-dev libcap-dev libcap2-dev libcap-ng-dev libavutil55 libcap-ng0
libavcodec-dev libavcodec58 libavformat58 libavformat-dev libavutil-dev libavutil56
libxcb-xkb-dev libxcb-composite0-dev libxcb-composite0 libxcb-xkb1 libxcb-icccm4-dev libxcb-icccm4
xcb-proto libxcb-image0-dev libxcb-image0

(it is still doesn't include "elogind" and "Dependency xcb-errors found: NO (tried pkgconfig)" which I was unable to find)

After that waste of time, I was able to build and install "phosh" (it was stand-alone install under /usr/local/bin/phosh)
And to build wlroots. "ninja -C _build install" only installs a set of header files to /usr/local/include/wlr so I've created a link to rootston at /usr/bin
After enabling the experimental desktop GL driver [GL (Full KMS)] in my raspi-config, I am finally able to run "rootston -E phosh".
I haven't found anything usefull for me in phosh/data/rootston.ini file (resolution works fine and I plan using it w/o keyboard and hotkeys), so I omit it...
When I start rootston from tty, it shows me only grey screen with mouse cursor and nothing else.
But it starts succesfully under my Mate x-session. I'm ok with it, because want to be able to use my main enveronment, but have a few questions.

1) When I run phosh, I can only see an empty desktop with 2 panels. When I click on the bottom panel - there is empty "Running Apps list" and Terminal in Favorites which I can't actually run ("phosh-favorites-WARNING: Couldn't launch terminal"). How can I add my own apps there?

2) When staying idle or by manually clicking "Lock screen" on upper panel, I need to enter Unlocking PIN. I haven't added any pin, how can I change it? (any config file?)

3) I've seen video on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxwspcmgVF4) with set of apps and more complete experience. What additional packages do I need to get? Should I compile everything the way like I did before, or maybe there is a more suitable way?

4) I want to run it from my usuall user and doesn't have any  system.d service, should I create some config file somewhere?

--
Best regards,
Maxim Linkov