[Librem-5-dev] Maps software

Guido Günther agx at sigxcpu.org
Tue Oct 23 01:40:22 PDT 2018

Hi,
On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 02:02:53PM +0300, rinigus via Librem-5-dev wrote:

> > gnome-session tracks apps that register via the protocol and they can be
> > restarted (see e.g. the settings daemons in /etc/xdg/autostart). This
> > also works for user session "daemons". There's also DBus activation for
> > things that don't need to be running all the time.
> >
> > Finally there's systemd system units for system daemons and user units
> > for user level daemons. We try to avoid the later for the moment to have
> > everything known to gnome-session. gnome-session will at some point
> > switch to systemd units (I hope that's the right link, the site is
> > currently unavailable):
> >

> > https://blogs.gnome.org/laney/2018/06/26/starting-sessions-with-systemd/
>

> user-level daemon if what I use for OSM Scout Server autostart. Namely,
> systemd socket activation allows to have all the clients access HTTP API in
> a way that is independent on whether the service runs or not. User-level is
> used to allow users stopping/starting as needed while downloading or
> updating the maps, adjusting options (such as supported languages) and
> such. How do you envision "avoiding" at this moment? Is it going to be
> enforced or you are not actively promoting it?

Socket based activation is fine. I don't think we want users to
have to start/stop any daemons by default. The apps needing the service
would do that (e.g. via DBus or socket activation).

> As far as I can see my question regarding suspend/resume cycles is still
> unanswered. I am talking about 5-300+ sec naps that CPU does on Android &
> probably other devices. Do you plan to have it implemented on some level?
> Or would it be responsibility of gnome-session?

I'm not involved in power management at the moment, that's why I'm
likely no the best person to answer this but even with "regular"
suspend/resume there's several components involved like gnome-session to
inhibit supsend, g-s-d to initiate it via systemd. I would expect other
means of power management (that are not fully kernel side) to be
integrated into these places as well.

We're currently lacking a detailed graphic in the developer docs how these
components work together¹ but if unsure use the desktop GNOME APIs and
or just ask.

Cheers,
 -- Guido

¹ https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/developer.puri.sm/issues/2