[PureOS] Bits from PureOS | Sharks!

Jeremiah C. Foster jeremiah.foster at puri.sm
Mon Aug 5 10:20:18 PDT 2019

On Mon, 2019-08-05 at 19:11 +0200, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> Am Mi., 31. Juli 2019 um 17:09 Uhr schrieb Jeremiah C. Foster
> <jeremiah.foster at puri.sm>:
> > On Wed, 2019-07-31 at 13:22 +0200, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> > > [...]
> >
> > Fair point.
> >
> > > (that's why we either need to find a way to do that
> > > automatically,
> >
> > While this approach is tempting, there be dragons.
> >
> > >  or
> > > just keep green rolling and create a new stable suite that
> > > existing
> > > users can opt-in instead)
> >
> > I'm starting to feel this may be the best alternative. I do worry
> > that
> > there will be a flood of packages coming in however it we go down
> > this
> > path - can we manage that?
>
> The "make new stable suite" is my preferred solution, as it is
> relatively simple, clean and most importantly very safe to do. We can
> absolutely handle a massive influx of packages from Debian into
> green,
> that's no problem.
> I would create the "amber", "amber.updates" and "amber-security"
> suites, populate the amber suite with the stuff that's in green,
> change the distribution release ID for the stable suite in the stable
> suite (amber) only, adjust the image builder to recognize the new
> suite and create a few images for that suite. Then we can tell our
> users to switch to amber now if they want stable or remain on green,
> and then after a week open the floodgates and sync up green with
> testing again.
> New Librems would then ship with amber by default.
>
> In the long run, "green" would be an alias for the next development
> suite, probably some color starting with "b" ^^
>
> It's quite a bunch of work, but at least nothing will break in the
> process. The only downside is that existing user of green who don't
> opt into stable in time will remain on the development branch. But I
> don't see a non-hacky way to move them to a different branch
> automatically, and changing green to not mean "rolling release" is
> tricky.

I agree with everything you wrote. Sorry it took me so long to come
around to your way of seeing things, I don't understand the system and
the implications as well as you do. But I understand much better now.

I already have a discussion regarding these changes, mostly just a
question to the forum users as to whether they prefer a stable or
rolling release. I'm surprised by how many forum users prefer stable.
https://forums.puri.sm/t/would-you-use-a-pureos-rolling-release-or-do-you-want-a-stable-pureos/6536

What can I do to assist you and support you in the work?

Best,

Jeremiah