[PureOS] I CAN HAZ MIRROR?

Jeremiah C. Foster jeremiah.foster at puri.sm
Fri Feb 1 09:24:28 PST 2019

On Wed, 2019-01-30 at 23:13 +0100, Chris Lamb wrote:
> Jeremiah wrote:
>
> > There are some folks who're will to mirror our PureOS distro which
> > is
> > very generous of them.
>
> Alas, I fear this is a bigger question that just rsync daemon
> settings. :)
>
> Whilst extremely kind of them, how will this work for our users?

Do you mean how do we enable our users to easily take advantage of the
mirrors? E.g. not having to edit source.list.d/ by hand?

> Ask them to alter their sources.list? Are we going to commit to
> providing a CDN of some description?

Is a CDN necessary?

> Even a round-robin DNS solution has issues in that we have no
> immediate, insight or control over whether any "non-official"
> mirror is up-to-date, something obviously important from a user
> point of view.
>
> Thoughts?

On balance I feel the benefits of a mirror outweigh the risks, at least
if we are clear with how we handle the mirrors. I'll follow-up on
Jonas' suggestion and look into the CDN.

In researching this a little it seems quite common to provide a mirror
list, like Kali does: https://http.kali.org/README.mirrorlist

If only to enable "power users" who likely download a fair amount I
think this would be a benefit. There have been comments in the forum
and other places that downloads can be slow.

I'll propose some documentation based on what the community best
practices seem to be and come back to this list for review and comment.

Regards,

Jeremiah