[PureOS] "PureOS changes" notifications

Chris Lamb chris.lamb at puri.sm
Fri Jun 14 09:28:26 PDT 2019

Hi all,

> > Many years ago I created an IRC bot for Debian that would live on
> > its own channel and simply notify on new uploads, bugs and similar
> > changes in that distribution:
> >
> >   https://chris-lamb.co.uk/projects/debian-devel-changes-bot
> >
> > … it is now rather popular and, indeed, many people have noted to me
> > in the interim years not only how motivating it was to be exposed to
> > others' work like that without having to explicitly or actively
> > look for it but it informs & keeps them up-to-date on the project
> > in a wider, less-technical, sense.
> >
> > I found it also a valuable learning tool — if I don't understand a
> > bug report that scrolls past I sometimes click it and invariably
> > end up learning something I didn't previously know.
> >
> > §
> >
> > In this light, I created the following ticket early last year to
> > get this rolling for PureOS:
> >
> >   https://tracker.pureos.net/T375
> >
> > … however, movement on this appears to have stalled or otherwise is
> > lower on others' priority lists than I believe it should be.
> >
> > The basic idea would be to have a separate "dev/pureos/changes" (or
> > similarly named) Matrix room that would have this info spammed into
> > it. Discussions would remain on dev/pureos or, of course, on issue
> > tracker, etc.
>
> <strong>
> +1
> </strong>

Thank you for your support.

Many months on and even longer from my initial bug report with no
significant progress, I was wondering if it would now be time to use a
stronger stick to get this implemented.

Whilst the social-ish (Purism) IRC channels are helpful to some
degree, I'm starting to feel somewhat isolated with my work on PureOS.

Best wishes,

--
Chris Lamb
https://puri.sm