[PureOS] Clarification of PureOS browser and browser policy

Jonas Smedegaard jonas.smedegaard at puri.sm
Fri Mar 8 13:17:41 PST 2019

Quoting Jeremiah C. Foster (2019-03-08 18:53:52)
> On Fri, 2019-02-15 at 22:36 +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > Hi Jeremiah,
> >
> > Quoting Jeremiah C. Foster (2019-02-15 18:23:16)
> >
> > > Having a policy for an issue like this would allow someone to
> > > quickly go to our policy, quote it in the issue tracker and/or
> > > demonstrate that in fact we do have httpseverywhere installed, and
> > > then close the bug which I feel is a positive outcome. As it
> > > stands now, we have a lot of issues that seem to attract a lot of
> > > commentary but little change is effecutated.
> >
> > I am not convinced that a policy helps triage issues, but perhaps I
> > am simply not imaginative enough and it could help if you elaborate
> > on what you think such policy might contain?
>
> For me "policy" is just what we do, i.e. what is our PureBrowser
> policy? Well, we patch it and remove some branding. Obviously that is
> a truncated answer, but if we had a policy document that outlined what
> we actually do, then we can refer to that when there are issues or
> questions.
>
> Such a policy might contain;
>
> "- We remove all hidden system add-ons, including "Activity Stream"
> which cause our version of Firefox to render a blank start page
> currently.
>
> - We not only change default search engine, but also disable
> geospecific search engine resolution, disable telemetry, disable crash
> reporting, and disable and lock Encrypted Media Extensions (EME).
>
> - We do not install any add-ons into Firefox.  But we force our users
> to additionally install a few independent add-ons when they use the
> default settings of our package manager to install Firefox.
>
> Our changes (in addition to Debian which apply 30 concrete patches to
> upstream sourcecode and involve customizing build routines involving
> roughly 70 files) are documented at
> https://source.puri.sm/pureos/packages/firefox-esr and specific
> changes for each of our package releases are summarized in our
> changelog, e.g.
> https://source.puri.sm/pureos/packages/firefox-esr/blob/pureos/60.5.0esr-1pureos1/debian/changelog"
>
> This above quote comes from another email but is an excellent policy
> document in my mind. So good that I thought I would document it for
> posterity in our mailing list.

What you quote is me re-telling targeted Mozilla lawyers a set of
changelog entries for latest release of our package.

Thanks for clarifying that such a text is what you consider a policy,
and that you believe such a text can help us process issues faster.

I fail at seeing that myself, though.  But happy if it helps others!

> In fact, the third point above might explain
> https://tracker.pureos.net/T712?

How so?

 - Jonas