[PureOS] Buster Freeze

Matthias Klumpp matthias.klumpp at puri.sm
Wed Mar 13 15:16:51 PDT 2019

Am Di., 12. März 2019 um 17:18 Uhr schrieb Jeremiah C. Foster
<jeremiah.foster at puri.sm>:

> https://release.debian.org/buster/freeze_policy.html
>
> So Buster is Frozen today if I'm not mistaken. Is there anything we
> ought to do in our Laniakea for us to track the Freeze? My assumption
> is that we'll see fewer updates as fewer packages will be accepted into
> testing.

Jup, but aside from that there is nothing we need to change - all
updates will keep flowing into PureOS from Debian's in-development
buster suite.

> Also, if Debian removes packages from testing, will those get remove
> from PureOS? I'm thinking about things like gksu, do we have to
> manually remove packages that are removed from Debian?

The correct answer to that question is "Maybe" ;-)
Laniakea and dak will attempt to remove packages from PureOS that have
also been dropped from Debian using the information they have about
the package (migration status and most importantly reverse
dependencies).
The package will be autoremoved if the system sees no point in keeping
it, but it is very conservative to ensure PureOS won't break by
accident. So in doubt, a package will not be removed. If a package
can't be removed, a sync issue is emitted and we can choose to remove
it manually. See https://master.pureos.net/synchrotron/ for a list of
issues (cruft issues are marked explicitly).

The gksu issue was special, because the package wasn't removed *and*
no issue was emitted. I haven't tracked down the cause of this issue
yet though, in any case this shouldn't have happened (the expected
result would have been the package not being removed and an issue
being emitted so this problem could have been dealt with manually).

Cheers,
    Matthias