[PureOS] Let's stablize PureoS Green

Guido Günther guido.gunther at puri.sm
Fri Mar 15 10:22:20 PDT 2019

Hi,
On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 01:57:44PM -0400, Jeremiah C. Foster wrote:
[..snip..]
> I've floated this idea internally in Purism and there has been a great
> deal of support for the idea. Others have also identified Debian
> Testing as being too fast moving for the Librem. While I mentioned this
> in another thread, I'd like to use this thread for discussion on the
> idea's merits as well as what is required technically to do this.

On the Librem 5 side there's three things:

* The need for a solid distribution (this does not necessarily mean
  Debian stable, it could e.g. also be based on Debian testing snapshots
  which we stabilize) including security support. It could also make
  sense to only look at a subset of packages instead of the whole Debian
  archive.
* The need for newer packages than in Debian stable (e.g. updated GNOME)
  (on the laptop side newer x.org / kernel /mesa come to mind with newer
  laptop generations).
* A n year/month support policy to switch between these

We need to get these things together somehow and I think this would also
benefit laptop users that want longer term stability (i.e. the
enterprise). It might make sense to collect the requirements of
different parties somewhere (I tried so with PureOS issues).

Cheers,
 -- Guido