[PureOS] Let's stablize PureoS Green

Jeremiah C. Foster jeremiah.foster at puri.sm
Sun Mar 17 18:12:12 PDT 2019

On Fri, 2019-03-15 at 00:50 +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Quoting Jeremiah C. Foster (2019-03-14 21:29:01)

> > > I might give you another perspective from an intermediate user.
> > > What
> > > some of you 'OS nerds' ;) consider boring, I'm guessing the
> > > majority
> > > of our customers see it as a very functional, cool as-is tool to
> > > get
> > > things done. As long as privacy and security improvements don't
> > > get
> > > stagnant... And any customer that may be as advanced as you
> > > guys,
> > > will know the ways to make it un-boring :)
> >
> > +1
> >
> > I think the majority of our enterprise user base will feel the
> > exact
> > same way.
>
> Ok, so the majority of users would be happy today with...

>   * Linux 4.9

I think any LTS kernel is fine as long as it has the right features we
need. I'll check with Mr. Chromebox and Kyle to see if there are
specific kernel versions needed for Pureboot and friends.

>   * GNOME 3.22

I know there are those among us who won't use anything less than the
latest GNOME. I'm sorry to disappoint but I don't see any way we can
provide bleeding edge GNOME to our user base aside from side loading
via flatpak (which is what GNOME itself seems to be moving towards.)

>   * LibreOffice 5.2

Here we need to hear from the Enterprise Sales team to see what they
feel. I imagine that functionality is crucial as is interoperability
with standard document formats to the greatest degree possible. I think
many may be happy without the latest bells and whistles.

> Great!

+1

> I am not grumpy about that at all.  I thought I heard others in
> Purism -
> people _not_ in PureOS team - be grumpy about especially GNOME not
> being
> new and shiny - but possibly I misunderstood or our real users are
> far
> different and easier to satisfy.  Just great :-)

:-) I think that we can provide a solid GNU/Linux distro that is
tailored to secure hardware. That is going to be a real win for our
user base I believe and for the laptop market in general.

Cheers,

Jeremiah