[PureOS] Let's stablize PureoS Green

Nicole Faerber nicole.faerber at puri.sm
Wed Mar 20 09:50:50 PDT 2019

On Wed, 2019-03-20 at 14:10 +0100, Tobias Bernard wrote:
> To add my perspective:
> I fully agree with Francois' vision. What we need long-term is
> - a user-facing OS that is stable, but which receives timely updates
> to UX-relevant parts of the stack (primarily GNOME and its
> dependencies, but probably also popular browsers, and a few other
> apps and developer tools). We don't want to split our OS in two for
> enterprise/consumer, as it would have very problematic effects on the
> developer ecosystem and the cohesion of the platform (e.g. apps
> designed for the fresher consumer version might not work on the
> enterprise one).
> - a way to do integration testing with in-development parts of the
> stack (primarily GNOME and things we need for the phone). Ideally,
> this would always have nightly versions of the entire GNOME platform
> throughout the development cycle. Most likely we'd need to do this in
> close collaboration with some GNOME people.
> - great flatpak integration for third-party apps (to alleviate the
> need to have the latest version of every random app packged) and the
> PureOS Store
> What we need to do to get there is a different question :)
>
> Regarding the current choice between Debian stable and testing: We
> can't go with Debian stable, unless we find a way to get up-to-date
> versions of GNOME and all its dependecies on top of that. I have a
> hunch that this isn't easily possible, but it's hardly my area of
> expertise :)
> Continuing with Debian testing seems like the more sustainable route
> short-term, though we still need to figure out how to get up-to-date
> GNOME during freeze periods, such as the current one. Since other
> Debian-based distributions, such as Ubuntu are going to do this as
> well, it seems at least theoretically doable.
> Longer-term I'd be interested in exploring alternative options, such
> as rebasing the OS on Endless OS, Ubuntu, or Fedora Silverblue, all
> of which have different, potentially interesting solutions to this
> problem. Sooner or later we'll want to go in a fully containerized
> direction a la Silverblue, so this might be good to factor into the
> decision we take now.

At least concerning this longer term approach I have a very strong
opinion against it. Even if these provide solutions to problems we also
face on a technical level, all of them (Endless OS, Ubuntu, or Fedora
Silverblue) are more or less dependent on a company in their backyard.
But we want to be and stay independent. That's why we chose Debian and
one of the reasons why we chose GNOME over KDE/Qt (Qt is run by a
company).

So even if there would be technical reasons, I would rather like to
invest in Debian to solve them than in using a solution backed by a
foreign company. We can look at them and use them as example or guide,
but I do not see us rebasing PueOS on anyone of these.

> Cheers,
> Tobias
Cheers
  nicole