[PureOS] Updates on reproducible builds in PureOS

Jeremiah C. Foster jeremiah.foster at puri.sm
Fri May 17 12:43:55 PDT 2019

Hi,

I've received and email recently from the folks at the FSF about PureOS
reproducible builds. When we were at LibrePlanet was asked if the FSF
would be kind enough to 'verify' our reproducible builds and they
replied via mail saying;

> Yes, we are interested in doing this. Generally, we will want
> the build and verification process to be publicly documented
> and mostly automated for an initial setup

To which I replied, here is how we build our ISOs;
https://tracker.pureos.net/w/development/howto_build/

I've set up debspawn to build in ISO from cron as well and I'll
automated diffoscope to create and html report for us and the FSF to
review.

I also have created this document to explain a bit about reproducible
builds in PureOS. This document pertains to PureOS and it refers to
upstream source to find out more about the  upstream project.
https://tracker.pureos.net/w/development/reproducible_isos/

Currently the work being done is around automation;

- having image building being done by cron
- running diffoscope

The ISOs that get built today are around 1.5 gigs which makes me wonder
if they're too large to put in Debian's Jenkins machine lest they fill
up disk.

Happy to hear feedback on all the above.

Regards,

Jeremiah