[PureOS] policy for level of stability of PureOS stable

David Seaward david.seaward at puri.sm
Mon Nov 4 11:55:31 PST 2019

On Thu, 2019-10-24 at 21:55 +0200, David Seaward wrote:
> On Thu, 2019-10-24 at 20:11 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > Concretely, David Seaward wants ldh-gui-suite added, but makes
> > sense to me to address this generally, eary on.

I raised this recently and the feedback was that PureOS should
considered directly under our (Purism's) control. So, for example, we
can release Liberty packages at any rate we (the Librem One team) are
comfortable maintaining.

Obvious issues that spring to mind are:

1. Is the package ready for an everyday audience?

Here I'd like to confirm we have some kind of QA process before a
Liberty package hits PureOS stable.

2. Do we require updates to dependency packages?

We must strenuously avoid this, otherwise we have to maintain these
packages ourselves, rather than inheriting Debian's maintenance effort.
Development dependencies must be pinned to match whatever is available
in PureOS stable.

3. How do we handle releases to PureOS stable and PureOS next?

Liberty packages MUST always work on PureOS stable. They SHOULD work on
PureOS next. If they stop working on PureOS next, we aim to get them
working on both again, but only as resources allow.

Jonas, are there other maintenance concerns that I've overlooked?

Regards,
David