[PureOS] Bits from PureOS | opening the firehose

Jeremiah C. Foster jeremiah.foster at puri.sm
Tue Dec 1 10:05:23 PST 2020

On Wed, 2020-11-25 at 14:04 +0100, Guido Günther wrote:
> Hi Jeremiah,
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 02:11:02PM -0500, Jeremiah C. Foster wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Some bits from PureOS;

> > Due to the fact that there is a new SoC / CPU in the Mini and
> > the
> > Librem 14, we need to move to a new kernel for these new devices.
> > The
> > good news is that the Byzantium kernel appears to fit our needs.
>
> Let me add that we (as discussed) started uploading Librem 5 related
> packages to byzantium.

Do we need to have another version of the "blessed builds"
documentation for the new pipelines and build process? I think that
documenting the end-to-end process of building a package for the Librem
5 might be useful for third party developers. I'm happy to work on this
but will need a bit of guidance.

> As of now we avoided uploading patched gtk,
> g-c-c, g-i-s, webkit, epiphany, ... but that is bound to change in
> the
> next couple of days. The rule for byzantium there is:
> - must be a regular (non-sloppy) build
> - if the software is not adaptive per se it need to figure things out
>   by itself e.g. based on the form factor or the dowstream GTK toggle
>   we have.
>
> This will also lead to some consolidation e.g. on the g-i-s side and
> the
> aim is certainly to not break the laptop use case but i just want to
> bring this up since the automatic testing you mentioned in earlier
> reports would become even more useful now.

Yes, it seems like now is the time to implement this. Just to be clear,
you're looking to test the resulting Librem 5 image? Or just packages
in the Byzantium distro? This makes a difference of course in how we
run the automated QA.

Regards,

Jeremiah