[PureOS] Bits from PureOS | opening the firehose

Jeremiah C. Foster jeremiah.foster at puri.sm
Tue Nov 24 11:11:02 PST 2020

Hello,

Some bits from PureOS;

1. Byzantium on all the things
2. End of life for Amber?
3. EFI

1. Due to the fact that there is a new SoC / CPU in the Mini and the
Librem 14, we need to move to a new kernel for these new devices. The
good news is that the Byzantium kernel appears to fit our needs. The
Mini that I have here is a Intel Coffee Lake i7-8565U @ 1.80GHz with 8
Cores.

uname -a;
"Linux 5.9.0-1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.9.1-1 (2020-10-17) x86_64
GNU/Linux"

/etc/os-release;
VERSION_ID=10.0
VERSION_CODENAME=byzantium

Everything has been working quite smoothly except for some issues
around accessing our repos; https://tracker.pureos.net/T960

I have an ISO with the installer that Matthias has fixed up and we hope
to have a Go / No Go decision with that image for tomorrow
(Wednesday).

2. Amber should likely have a EoL date. I feel like that should be a
sort of LTS style approach and say we'll support Amber for two more
years. We still sell some products (Librem 15, server) with Amber still
on it and enterprises expect longer support so something along those
lines seems sensible. Feedback most welcome.

3. Can we deliver an installer that supports EFI? I realize this has
been a goal for a while and that there is work still needed to be done
for this and we have the usual resource constraints. What more needs to
be done?

Thank you!