[PureOS] Updating localechooser in landing/byzantium

Jeremiah C. Foster jeremiah.foster at puri.sm
Wed Oct 6 13:22:55 PDT 2021

Hello,

On 10/6/21 12:29 PM, Carsten Schoenert wrote:
> Guido,
>
> Am 06.10.21 um 16:38 schrieb Guido Günther:
<snip>
>> Again I have no strong opinion here but rather try to understand why one
>> would use a different workflow as with other packages (which
>> e.g. results in the discussion being split between mailing list and
>> giltab).
>
> Well, the thing is still, there is no branch I can start a MR against
> (at least I think). There is not even yet a tag 2.93 on soure.p.s.,
> there is currently only the old master branch which isn't connected
> anyhow to the "mother" tree on Salsa.

This is an issue with all packages on source.puri.sm - both pureos/core
and pureos/packages are not connected to Salsa or to Laniakea.

These repo groupings (core and packages) likely no longer serve the same
purpose as originally - namely to be "complete and corresponding" source
code for all the packages in PureOS. We likely ought to have a plan or
create one for how we can have a one-to-one correspondence between
source code in a git repo and the binaries in the archives to make
support easier.

> If it would exist at all this mail traffic wouldn't needed and I've
> started directly any discussion within a MR.
>
> If the outcome is there is no problem to create a starting branch
> pureos/latest by preparing the tree on source.p.s then I'm of course
> fine with this.
> I'm unsure if I would can do that, given to the permissions for
> Developers I should.
>
>> My take for using merge requests for about everything is that it keeps
>> the discussion close to the code (and searchable).
This makes sense but this list can be a very valuable resource for those
new to PureOS, for making policy, and for other co-ordination. So I for
one welcome Carsten's mail to the list.

> I fully understand this.
> But I'm quite conservative about possible direct action on "hot"
> repositories as I'm still new and like to prevent any damages.

Sensible.

Regards,

Jeremiah