[PureOS] Updating localechooser in landing/byzantium

Carsten Schoenert carsten.schoenert at puri.sm
Sat Oct 16 04:34:27 PDT 2021

After a week which mostly has consumed all my energy for $dayjob I'm now
looking again into solving the original issue.

Am 09.10.21 um 17:50 schrieb Jonas Smedegaard:
>> We can preserve that history in the pureos/packages/lollypop repo need
>> be or just leave it as is and use that fork in unlikely case we need
>> updates for amber-phone. Both works for me.
>
> That particular work of mine is not important for me that we preserve.
>
> If topic of this conversation is _simplest_ practice then let's just
> throw away historic git repos.

The lollypop repos are bit out of scope of the original reason for this
discussion ... to me it's mostly helpful if I can follow not only a
recent development but also past development (if it's not done for pre
sarge :P ).
For sure we can combine the two trees into one were all the PureOS
related modification are visible. This would require further work of course.

So a compromise from a POV of needed effort for me would be to keep the
things how they are right now and maybe through away the old
amber-phone-stuff after amber has becoming unsupported.
If I'm feeling boring I can cherry-pick (or someone other) the old
changes into the current most recent lollypop repo so the old tree could
be removed earlier.

> I pointed to that historic git repo because a) it was unclear to me what
> Carsten wanted to say (he also referenced missing posts by Guido still
> unavailable to me¹), and b) I mistakenly focused on finding _best_
> practice.

O.k. I might have not made it fully clear what my objection was.

I'd like to avoid to do work that is in my eyes more error prone than
the workflow I use for several years now if I do Debian packaging and
I've also have seen within a lot of other packages by developers which I
not know directly or have spoken too except by some email exchange maybe.

And I'd like to easy see what happen in the past within one or more
packaging (git) trees. That's the main reason why I've suggest the
renaming / migration of the current existing packaging tree for
localechooser together with a pull in of the tree from Salsa.
It's of also possible to start from scratch and cherry-pick the existing
commits from the current tree.

But both ways require additional extra intrusive action on source.p.s.
As I'm not able to do this without some help from users who are able to
do this (nor want to do this without an acknowledge from others) we need
to come to an agreement how we all can be happy.

@Guido @Jonas @Matthias
If you think I tend to start more work than needed then it's best that a
counter example would be done which I'm happily adopt for other packages.
I looked into some repositories now already, but it's still a bit hard
for me to get a feeling how derived packages get handled best here as
I'm only able to look at things for a few hours a week.

--
Regards
Carsten Schoenert