[PureOS] Updating localechooser in landing/byzantium

Carsten Schoenert carsten.schoenert at puri.sm
Sat Oct 16 09:55:31 PDT 2021

Am 16.10.21 um 15:24 schrieb Jonas Smedegaard:

> Maybe I was unclear above, let me try be more explicit:
>
> My personal opinion: I see no need for you to incorporate my hostoric
> lollipop work into yours.
>
> With my Purism-policy-nitpicker hat on: We have no policy regarding
> preservation of historic works, and if we were to establish such policy
> I would recommend that it would include something like "works containing
> no feature changes (e.g. only fuzzing and boilerplate changes) need not
> be preserved" which fit the case of my work packaging lollipop.
>
> Now is probably the wrong time and place to discuss creation or changing
> policy - i.e. let's not discuss policy any furthere here unless to
> correct me if Purism *already* has an established policy on the matter.

I fully agree. Let's do some work.

>>> I pointed to that historic git repo because a) it was unclear to me
>>> what Carsten wanted to say (he also referenced missing posts by
>>> Guido still unavailable to me¹), and b) I mistakenly focused on
>>> finding _best_ practice.
>>
>> O.k. I might have not made it fully clear what my objection was.
>>
>> I'd like to avoid to do work that is in my eyes more error prone than
>> the workflow I use for several years now if I do Debian packaging and
>> I've also have seen within a lot of other packages by developers which
>> I not know directly or have spoken too except by some email exchange
>> maybe.
>
> I don't understand what you refer to as "more error prone" - but no need
> to explain what you mean unless you seek _best_ practice, see below...
>
> Debian packaging works rarely involve multiple overlapping timelines.
>
> Debian-derivative works more often involve multiple parallel timelines,
> due to the nature of Debian and the derivative distribution often being
> developed in parallel.
>
> But caring about *how* to flatten parallel timelines only matters for
> _best_ practice: If you don't care about ambiguities on how parallel
> timelines get flattened by the tools you use, then just use whatever
> Debian packaging practices you are familiar with and hope for the
> best...
>

> In short: Please ignore all of my posts in this thread if your interest
> is to use _easiest_ or _simplest_ or _quickest_ practice.  Only if your
> interest is in _best_ practice is my posts here any relevant.

I'll always be interested in technical discussions as I hardly believe
that only the exchange about different POVs will be the base for finding
the best ways to solve problems and issues. And so also here I'm happy
to have learned new things and other possible solutions.

Once we meet up again $somewhere we will enjoy one or two beer together!

>> p.s. As I'm not able to do this without some help from users who are
>> able to do this (nor want to do this without an acknowledge from
>> others) we need to come to an agreement how we all can be happy.
>
> For the record: I am frustrated that I feel alone about my views about
> how to _best_ handle multiple parallel timelines in packaging works.
> However, your working on PureOS packages makes me happy *regardless* of
> your packaging style: You are not making things _worse_.

O.k. thank you!!

--
Regards
Carsten Schoenert