[Librem-5-dev] Maps software

Guido Günther agx at sigxcpu.org
Fri Oct 19 14:32:57 PDT 2018

Hi,
On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 12:10:24AM +0300, rinigus via Librem-5-dev wrote:
>    Hi,
>    I have just merged my work on Pure Maps support for regular Qt Quick
>    Controls 2 widget into the master tree of the repository. It runs as
>    expected on my desktop (Qt 5.9), PureOS virtual machine (Qt 5.11), and I
>    would have to figure out how to distribute it.
>    There are few dependencies that are missing and I wonder how to approach
>    it. One of them, pyotherside, is available for Debian
>    ([1]https://packages.debian.org/sid/main/pyotherside). How can we get it
>    included into PureOS?
>    Few others are not a part of Debian:
>    * Nemo DBus
>    [2]https://git.merproject.org/mer-core/nemo-qml-plugin-dbus.git
>    Handy library for communication on DBus using QML. In Pure Maps context,
>    its used for map matching (snapping coordinates to roads, obtaining street
>    names, speed limits)
>    * Mapbox GL Native / Mapbox QML
>    Pure Maps uses unofficial bindings
>    ([3]https://github.com/rinigus/mapbox-gl-qml) for Mapbox GL Native. I will
>    have to look whether official QtLocation Mapbox GL plugin will be
>    sufficient (not sure its available as a part of Debian). This is mostly
>    app-specific, although, on Sailfish, its used by two currently maintained
>    apps.

You can bundle all of these in the flatpak if you don't want to bring
them to Debian yourself.

>    * Keepalive
>    Assuming that L5 will be suspending itself and waking up to keep battery
>    for longer periods, some apps (including navigation) would need to be able
>    to break that cycle and keep device alive. Is the suspension policy
>    already known and is there a library to regulate it for L5?

You can use what gnome uses

    https://people.gnome.org/~mccann/gnome-session/docs/gnome-session.html#org.gnome.SessionManager.Inhibit

>    In general, what's a way we are expected to release apps for L5 and for
>    PureOS? We don't have anything similar to Ubuntu's PPA, right?

Simply speaking they either come in via Debian or via a flatpak. Heather
did some experiments with hosting the flatpak repo (we want one that
only provides free software).
For the default (GNOME based) install we'll likely have gnome-software
prefer apps using the phone's UI and design patterns over those that
dont.

Cheers,
 -- Guido