[PureOS] PureOS | Debian delta

Jeremiah C. Foster jeremiah.foster at puri.sm
Thu Jul 4 12:15:40 PDT 2019

Thanks for the replies everyone.

On Wed, 2019-07-03 at 20:10 +0200, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> Am Mi., 3. Juli 2019 um 16:47 Uhr schrieb Chris Lamb <
> chris.lamb at puri.sm>:
> > [...]
> > These patches should canonically be in the source.puri.sm
> > repositories:
> >
> >   https://source.puri.sm/pureos/packages
> >
> > For example, here is a patch of mine to Gimp:
> > https://source.puri.sm/pureos/packages/gimp/blob/10711bb1ccbf9be950445a6a6ba91c4157d8e7c7/debian/patches/02_set_single_window_mode_as_default.patch

So one part of the set of things that is the 'delta' is the patches to
packages in Gitlab (pureos/packages). I think this might be a candidate
for policy. That is to say, I'd like to try to enforce our conventsion
of keeping all the patches to packages we do in the Gitlab
pureos/packages project. This will give us a sort of standardizedinterface to look for patches.

> > > […] as well as the fact that we do not have a non-free repo.
> >
> > These parts of "negative space" are less obvious. Whilst you
> > mention
> > the absense of the non-free repository we also have removed other
> > specific packages from "main". I am unsure how to canonically
> > generate
> > such a list from our archive software, but it is likely possible
> > with
> > some grep-dctrl foo and a quick refresher on set theory.
>
> Or by looking at the list of intentionally not-synced packages:
> https://master.pureos.net/synchrotron/blacklist

This is also quite valuable.

> > In addition, there is the delta in unmodified packages that we have
> > migrated from unstable, which additionally add to the delta from
> > Debian buster. This could be a refinement othe programming task
> > outlined in my previous paragraph if one was inclined to locate the
> > exact answer.
> >
> > > Knowing the delta would help us to understand how to move the
> > > work
> > > being done on the L5 phone into our CD system for example
> >
> > Can you elaborate on this, just out of interest? In particular,
> > what
> > is specific about the CD system that I am perhaps missing?
>
> I would also be interested in that answer!

To be clear, by "CD" system I mean Continuous Delivery and by that I
mean the specific instance of Laniakea we use. :-)

I'm trying to understand the time estimate for bringing in the set of
packages and kernel that is being used and developed for the Librem 5
into Laniakea. This is, at least to me, essentially turning a subset of
Debian into PureOS. I thought that if I could understand the delta it
would help me with time estimation of this project.

I realize that those of us who've done the work on patches and
synchronizing with Debian will be able to estimate the time better than
I, so I'm just going to stop beating around the bush and ask; how long
will it take to pull in the Librem 5 code into Laniakea?

This is a question that is being asked to me internally.

> Additionally to all the delta opportunities mentioned by Chris, there
> is also a "built-in" difference by compiling packages differently on
> PureOS compared to Debian. That is for example the case for
> gnome-software and grub which compile with different settings
> depending on the OS they are built on.
>
> So, finding the complete delta is a bit tricky, but definitely
> possible.

Is a reasonable hypothesis;

(Package set synched from Debian into Laniakea) =>
- (Blacklisted packages)
- (non-free repos) - (Blacklisted packages)
-
(non-free repos)
+ (PureOS patches)
+ (PureOS compiler flags)