[PureOS] PureOS | Debian delta

Matthias Klumpp matthias.klumpp at puri.sm
Wed Jul 3 11:10:10 PDT 2019

Am Mi., 3. Juli 2019 um 16:47 Uhr schrieb Chris Lamb <chris.lamb at puri.sm>:
> [...]
> These patches should canonically be in the source.puri.sm repositories:
>
>   https://source.puri.sm/pureos/packages
>
> For example, here is a patch of mine to Gimp:
>
> https://source.puri.sm/pureos/packages/gimp/blob/10711bb1ccbf9be950445a6a6ba91c4157d8e7c7/debian/patches/02_set_single_window_mode_as_default.patch
>
> > […] as well as the fact that we do not have a non-free repo.
>
> These parts of "negative space" are less obvious. Whilst you mention
> the absense of the non-free repository we also have removed other
> specific packages from "main". I am unsure how to canonically generate
> such a list from our archive software, but it is likely possible with
> some grep-dctrl foo and a quick refresher on set theory.

Or by looking at the list of intentionally not-synced packages:
https://master.pureos.net/synchrotron/blacklist

> In addition, there is the delta in unmodified packages that we have
> migrated from unstable, which additionally add to the delta from
> Debian buster. This could be a refinement othe programming task
> outlined in my previous paragraph if one was inclined to locate the
> exact answer.
>
> > Knowing the delta would help us to understand how to move the work
> > being done on the L5 phone into our CD system for example
>
> Can you elaborate on this, just out of interest? In particular, what
> is specific about the CD system that I am perhaps missing?

I would also be interested in that answer!

Additionally to all the delta opportunities mentioned by Chris, there
is also a "built-in" difference by compiling packages differently on
PureOS compared to Debian. That is for example the case for
gnome-software and grub which compile with different settings
depending on the OS they are built on.

So, finding the complete delta is a bit tricky, but definitely possible.

Cheers,
    Matthias