[PureOS] Bits frm PureOS | Buster edition

Matthias Klumpp matthias.klumpp at puri.sm
Mon Jul 8 10:04:20 PDT 2019

[Re-sending, as the mailinglist rejected the previous message for some reason]

Am Mo., 8. Juli 2019 um 16:58 Uhr schrieb Jonas Smedegaard
<jonas.smedegaard at puri.sm>:

> Quoting Nicole Faerber (2019-07-08 11:41:13)
> > [...]
>
> I am confused by above posts from folks I thought took lead with regards
> to PureOS.
>
> Is it still an open question _if_ we want PureOS green to track Debian
> Buster, and that is what we discuss in this email thread?
>
> Or is that already decided and instead the topic now is _how_ (leading
> to _when_ it is adequately done that it can be announced)?
>
> Those seems very different email topics to me.

Indeed. As a matter of fact, PureOS green is already tracking bullseye
at the moment.
If we want a version of PureOS based on Debian stable, that would have
to be a new suite, otherwise we would throw all of our users out of
security support immediately.
There is also the problem of us having advertised PureOS as (semi)
rolling so far, and the PureOS team being completely unable to handle
any enterprise stuff with its current manpower.
We can just about support development of one suite, handling fixes and
security support for two would be really really hard.

Cheers,
    Matthias

P.S: I made a "stale" suite fork of the "green" PureOS suite, so we
have a stable-ish point of reference to use, in case we go with having
a suite that tracks stable (as green is accumulating packages from
Debian testing already).