[PureOS] Bits frm PureOS | Buster edition

Jeremiah C. Foster jeremiah.foster at puri.sm
Mon Jul 8 10:10:15 PDT 2019

On Mon, 2019-07-08 at 19:04 +0200, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> [Re-sending, as the mailinglist rejected the previous message for
> some reason]
>
> Am Mo., 8. Juli 2019 um 16:58 Uhr schrieb Jonas Smedegaard
> <jonas.smedegaard at puri.sm>:
> > Quoting Nicole Faerber (2019-07-08 11:41:13)
> > > [...]
> >
> > I am confused by above posts from folks I thought took lead with
> > regards
> > to PureOS.
> >
> > Is it still an open question _if_ we want PureOS green to track
> > Debian
> > Buster, and that is what we discuss in this email thread?
> >
> > Or is that already decided and instead the topic now is _how_
> > (leading
> > to _when_ it is adequately done that it can be announced)?
> >
> > Those seems very different email topics to me.
>
> Indeed. As a matter of fact, PureOS green is already tracking
> bullseye
> at the moment.
> If we want a version of PureOS based on Debian stable, that would
> have
> to be a new suite, otherwise we would throw all of our users out of
> security support immediately.

Why? Buster has security support as well.

> There is also the problem of us having advertised PureOS as (semi)
> rolling so far,

I think that we can work with marketing to positively describe the
situation. Stability is clearly a more important goal than a rolling
release (at least in the internal conversations I've had.)

> and the PureOS team being completely unable to handle
> any enterprise stuff with its current manpower.

I don't understand this. We already do this with Green - why can't we
continue?

> We can just about support development of one suite, handling fixes
> and
> security support for two would be really really hard.

Surely not impossible though?

Regards,

Jeremiah