[PureOS] Bits frm PureOS | Buster edition

Guido Günther guido.gunther at puri.sm
Mon Jul 8 10:27:30 PDT 2019

Hi,
On Mon, Jul 08, 2019 at 10:26:03AM -0400, Jeremiah C. Foster wrote:
> Congratulations to all the DDs on this list for their work on Buster!
> Thank you! I'm sure there are many, many people out there grateful for
> your contribution.
>
> My next question naturally is; is PureOS Green going to continue to
> track Buster? This was a question we brought up in March:
> https://lists.puri.sm/pipermail/pureos-project/2019-March/000069.html
>
> A broader discussion followed that thread and while the shape of
> consensus seemed to emerge, there were some threads left dangling. Now,
> as we're being asked by other stakeholders what are plans are, I'd like
> to be able to announce that PureOS Green is tracking Debian Buster.

(I'm deliberately taking a phone only view here to spawn a discussion):

I'm aware of three possible scenarios that were discussed (including a
recent discussion with heather and matthias):

1. continue as is (track Debian testing)
2. track buster
3. switch to date based snapshots tracking testing

>From the phone side 2 is *currently* very convenient since there's no
resources for much else *but* the more packages we fork from GNOME
and the larger the delta gets 3. will become more interesting
(especially when the first storm of migrations to testing is over) so
having a longer term idea where PureOS intends to move would be great.

So from the phone side the question and "vision" how are we keeping
PureOS stable (that is bug free for our use cases) while merging phone
related changes and newer upstream versions needed for the phone into
PureOS would be even more interesting. Terms like CI and testing already
came up here but I'm not aware of any concrete proposals atm but am
happy to read up on provided references.

Cheers,
 -- Guido