[PureOS] Building images and mailing lists

Matthias Klumpp matthias.klumpp at puri.sm
Wed Mar 6 13:54:55 PST 2019

Am Mi., 6. März 2019 um 21:38 Uhr schrieb Jeremiah C. Foster
<jeremiah.foster at puri.sm>:

> Hi,
>
> I've added a firmware updater package to the repos, it looks like it is
> still stuck in landing though it is hard to say since I can't seem to
> find it.

The package is likely the one stuck in NEW - I rejected it a few days
ago, but maybe you haven't received an email about that. I kicked the
system again, as there were some log messages on mails not being able
to be sent.
In any case, I sent you this message about the package:
------8<------
  Hi!
  I am sorry but I have to reject the package at its current state:

  * It has a Debian revision number (-1) but does not exist in Debian.
    Uploads to PureOS must follow the PureOS versioning rules,
otherwise we break compatibility with Debian. See
https://tracker.pureos.net/w/development/packaging_overview/#version-numbers
for details.

  * The binary package is in an unknown section. I can not add
overrides for the package unless you set a proper section.

  * The changelog contains the default "new package" boilerplate, it
would be neat to have a slightly more descriptive message there.

  Cheers,
  Matthias
------>8------

Only the first points are actually issues which made me reject the
upload. Packages which introduce new binary packages or source
packages to PureOS and therefore require override changes always end
up in NEW for manual review, and you should get an email about that
event as well.
You can also take a look at what is in NEW via this (realtively
hidden) URL: https://master.pureos.net/raw/web/new.html
If you ever wonder on what is going on with the archive or packages in
it, I can almost guarantee that the answer exists on master.pureos.net
somewhere :-)

> I've asked for a login from the sys folks so I can look around
> in the repos. I'd love it if someone (Matthias?) were to let me know
> how to ensure that packages get picked up - seems like a manual process
> at the moment and there are lots of packages coming from the L5 phone
> folks so this doesn't really scale well.

It's fully automated. Only packages that go through new need an extra
review step.

> Also, I read with interest this discussion on how folks are moving away
> from Discourse back to mailing lists (largely because they're
> asynchronous).
> https://lwn.net/ml/fedora-council-discuss/CAEg-Je-wUDS+RAvS-8v4Qpu+GeiWv0-wK3szy7zt9QiD8258EQ@mail.gmail.com/

That is indeed interesting - I always found Discourse a bit confusing
and hard to keep track of discussions with it, but I also never
actually gave it a fair chance (so far I didn't participate in a
project that was exclusively using Discourse for communication).

Cheers,
    Matthias