[PureOS] Buster Freeze

Matthias Klumpp matthias.klumpp at puri.sm
Wed Mar 13 16:18:39 PDT 2019

Am Do., 14. März 2019 um 00:06 Uhr schrieb Jeremiah C. Foster
<jeremiah.foster at puri.sm>:
> [...]
> > Jup, but aside from that there is nothing we need to change - all
> > updates will keep flowing into PureOS from Debian's in-development
> > buster suite.
>
> Awesome!
>
> After Buster becomes stable, I assume we'll then just follow that and
> get security and other important updates as point releases?

No, the way the system is set up after buster is released we will
immediately jump onto the bullseye testing cycle. PureOS was designed
as a semi rolling-release distribution, and so far we have not made
any decision to change that (if we would want to change anything,
doing that before buster is released is a good idea).

> Will we want to set up another tracker that then moves to testing to
> track bullseye/sid? I am not sure we'll need it aside from packages for
> the Librem 5. But the Librem 5 is ARM v8 and we can build images for
> that here: https://downloads.puri.sm/phone/
>
> Currently the Librem 5 team has their own CI on a Cavium machine
> somewhere in Germany.

If we do that, create one "frozen" PureOS suite and one that tracks
testing, we would essentially abandon the rolling-release model and go
to a new development model that is much closer to what Debian itself
does, except that we would actually roill out our development release
to the users by default. In that case, I'd wonder why we need the
frozen suite at all...
- If we want to change PureOS development, we need a good plan on what
exactly we want to change and for which reason, and how much
additional work the team can realistically handle (stable releases
aren't maintenance free, quite the contrary!).

> > > Also, if Debian removes packages from testing, will those get
> > > remove
> > > from PureOS? I'm thinking about things like gksu, do we have to
> > > manually remove packages that are removed from Debian?
> >
> > The correct answer to that question is "Maybe" ;-)
> > Laniakea and dak will attempt to remove packages from PureOS that
> > have
> > also been dropped from Debian using the information they have about
> > the package (migration status and most importantly reverse
> > dependencies).
> > The package will be autoremoved if the system sees no point in
> > keeping
> > it, but it is very conservative to ensure PureOS won't break by
> > accident. So in doubt, a package will not be removed.
>
> Excellent. This sounds like a sane, useful setup.

At Ubuntu, as far as I know, this is still a manual process. We have a
least a small amount of automation ^^

>> [...]

Cheers,
    Matthias