[PureOS] Buster Freeze

Jeremiah C. Foster jeremiah.foster at puri.sm
Wed Mar 13 16:57:18 PDT 2019

On Thu, 2019-03-14 at 00:18 +0100, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> Am Do., 14. März 2019 um 00:06 Uhr schrieb Jeremiah C. Foster
> <jeremiah.foster at puri.sm>:
> > [...]
> > > Jup, but aside from that there is nothing we need to change - all
> > > updates will keep flowing into PureOS from Debian's in-
> > > development
> > > buster suite.
> >
> > Awesome!
> >
> > After Buster becomes stable, I assume we'll then just follow that
> > and
> > get security and other important updates as point releases?
>
> No, the way the system is set up after buster is released we will
> immediately jump onto the bullseye testing cycle. PureOS was designed
> as a semi rolling-release distribution, and so far we have not made
> any decision to change that (if we would want to change anything,
> doing that before buster is released is a good idea).

Thanks for letting me know. I think that there is a consensus that it
would be good to follow stable for the Librem 13 and 15. There have
been things that have come into testing that have disrupted work on
coreboot and have affected users ability to start Libre Office which is
a bit of a problem for the enterprise users we're trying to get.

How can we set this up so we continue to follow Buster once it's
stable?

> > Will we want to set up another tracker that then moves to testing
> > track bullseye/sid? I am not sure we'll need it aside from packages
> > for
> > the Librem 5. But the Librem 5 is ARM v8 and we can build images
> > for
> > that here: https://downloads.puri.sm/phone/
> >
> > Currently the Librem 5 team has their own CI on a Cavium machine
> > somewhere in Germany.
>
> If we do that, create one "frozen" PureOS suite and one that tracks
> testing, we would essentially abandon the rolling-release model and
> go
> to a new development model that is much closer to what Debian itself
> does, except that we would actually roill out our development release
> to the users by default. In that case, I'd wonder why we need the
> frozen suite at all...

The frozen suite would become stable and be for the laptops. Doesn't
that make sense? I doubt that the laptop folks want things like phosh
and all the other updates that the phone will get.

>- If we want to change PureOS development, we need a good plan on what
> exactly we want to change and for which reason, and how much
> additional work the team can realistically handle (stable releases
> aren't maintenance free, quite the contrary!).

But Debian stable releases get many fewer updates. At least in my
experience. I've run testing for years and then switched to stable and
the number of updates drops by an order of magnitude.

Cheers,

Jeremiah