[PureOS] Building my own PureOS ISO image?

Jeremiah C. Foster jeremiah.foster at puri.sm
Wed Mar 13 17:06:10 PDT 2019

On Mon, 2019-03-11 at 20:24 +0100, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> Am Mo., 11. März 2019 um 20:12 Uhr schrieb Jeremiah C. Foster
> <jeremiah.foster at puri.sm>:
> > [...]
> > debootstrap is on my Clear Linux system. I used it to create the
> > PureOS
> > container and for various Debian chroots. The machine itself is
> > quite
> > powerful; 8 core i7-8705G CPU @ 3.10GHz with hyperthreading. It
> > makes
> > for a speedy build machine and I like the Clear Linux use of
> > OStree,
> > but I think I need to move the machine to Debian or, alternatively,
> > use
> > the other build script. There is no substantive difference between
> > the
> > two build approaches is there, I mean aside from environment.
>
> Yes, that difference can be huge though. And for automation, debspawn
> is pretty neat. With debootstrap being available on your system,
> debspawn should run.
> It will require dpkg on the host for package builds, but not for
> running arbitrary commands, so if you feel a bit adventurous, just
> `git clone https://github.com/lkorigin/debspawn.git` and run
> "debspawn.py" straight from the Git repo - no installation needed.
> You
> should only need Python3, zstd and debootstrap (but I never ran this
> on non-Debian, so I don't know for sure whether this will work).

This is mostly for completeness sake, but it doesn't look like debspawn
will work without DPKG on the host system as you said.

 $ ./debspawn.py create green
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./debspawn.py", line 11, in <module>
    sys.exit(cli.run(thisfile, sys.argv[1:]))
  File "/home/jeremiah/GitHub/jeremiah/debspawn/debspawn/cli.py", line
353, in run
    args.func(args)
  File "/home/jeremiah/GitHub/jeremiah/debspawn/debspawn/cli.py", line
87, in command_create
    osbase = OSBase(gconf, options.suite, options.arch,
variant=options.variant, base_suite=options.base_suite)
  File "/home/jeremiah/GitHub/jeremiah/debspawn/debspawn/osbase.py",
line 44, in __init__
    self._name = self._make_name()
  File "/home/jeremiah/GitHub/jeremiah/debspawn/debspawn/osbase.py",
line 54, in _make_name
    out, _, ret = safe_run(['dpkg-architecture', '-qDEB_HOST_ARCH'])
  File
"/home/jeremiah/GitHub/jeremiah/debspawn/debspawn/utils/command.py",
line 70, in safe_run
    raise SubprocessError(out, err, ret, cmd)
debspawn.utils.command.SubprocessError: ['dpkg-architecture', '-
qDEB_HOST_ARCH']: -1
None

I'll stop fooling around with this now since I have a number of Debian
based machines with which to build.

Cheers,

Jeremiah