[PureOS] Let's stablize PureoS Green

Omar omar.aboulhosn at puri.sm
Thu Mar 14 13:10:05 PDT 2019

On 3/14/19 1:52 PM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Quoting Jeremiah C. Foster (2019-03-14 18:57:44)
>> What do those folks on this mailing list think? Should we keep PureOS
>> Green on Debian (Buster) Stable?
> Above is strongly tied the related question of what to do about cravings
> for exciting new $stuff as Buster (non-)evolves to become steadily more
> boring over its multi-year lifespan.

I might give you another perspective from an intermediate user. What
some of you 'OS nerds' ;) consider boring, I'm guessing the majority of
our customers see it as a very functional, cool as-is tool to get things
done. As long as privacy and security improvements don't get stagnant...
And any customer that may be as advanced as you guys, will know the ways
to make it un-boring :)

> Do we...
>
>  a) Tell users to wait for it to become boring enough?
>  b) Maintain a local fork as .deb in PureOS for each wish?
>  c) Maintain a local flatpak for each wish?
>  d) Tell users to include .deb/flatpack maintained elsewhere?
>
> With a) I say yes let's do it.  But I expect others in the company to
> not really want that option for several years, not even for enterprise
> users. Testing that is simple: Imagine PureOS being Stretch until 6
> months from now (i.e. until Buster becomes boring _and_ we finish
> testing that it really truly is boring also with our adaptations).
>
> With b) I say no: We lack manpower, procedures, and infrastructure to
> handle that - including security tracking but also other things.
>
> With c) I say that those responsible for flatpack maintenance need to
> evaluate when they are ready - including security tracking but also
> other things.  Which implies that it is a no if PureOS team has that
> responsibility.
>
> With d) I say no: It is irresponsible of us to point our users
> elsewhere.
>

>  - Jonas
 - Omar