[PureOS] Let's stablize PureoS Green

Jonas Smedegaard jonas.smedegaard at puri.sm
Thu Mar 14 11:52:57 PDT 2019

Quoting Jeremiah C. Foster (2019-03-14 18:57:44)
> What do those folks on this mailing list think? Should we keep PureOS
> Green on Debian (Buster) Stable?

Above is strongly tied the related question of what to do about cravings
for exciting new $stuff as Buster (non-)evolves to become steadily more
boring over its multi-year lifespan.

Do we...

 a) Tell users to wait for it to become boring enough?
 b) Maintain a local fork as .deb in PureOS for each wish?
 c) Maintain a local flatpak for each wish?
 d) Tell users to include .deb/flatpack maintained elsewhere?

With a) I say yes let's do it.  But I expect others in the company to
not really want that option for several years, not even for enterprise
users. Testing that is simple: Imagine PureOS being Stretch until 6
months from now (i.e. until Buster becomes boring _and_ we finish
testing that it really truly is boring also with our adaptations).

With b) I say no: We lack manpower, procedures, and infrastructure to
handle that - including security tracking but also other things.

With c) I say that those responsible for flatpack maintenance need to
evaluate when they are ready - including security tracking but also
other things.  Which implies that it is a no if PureOS team has that
responsibility.

With d) I say no: It is irresponsible of us to point our users
elsewhere.

 - Jonas