[PureOS] Let's stablize PureoS Green

Jonas Smedegaard jonas.smedegaard at puri.sm
Wed Mar 20 07:24:22 PDT 2019

Quoting Tobias Bernard (2019-03-20 14:10:18)
> To add my perspective:

[ snipped nice long-term vision of both stable and timely updated ]

> Regarding the current choice between Debian stable and testing: We
> can't go with Debian stable, unless we find a way to get up-to-date
> versions of GNOME and all its dependecies on top of that. I have a
> hunch that this isn't easily possible, but it's hardly my area of
> expertise :)

Correct, that isn't possible today.

Maybe possible within 6 months - but by the time we know for certain it
is likely too late to hit the breaks (should we want that by then - when
new new must-have usability or feature improvement may be at hand or
just around the corner).

> Continuing with Debian testing seems like the more sustainable route
> short-term, though we still need to figure out how to get up-to-date
> GNOME during freeze periods, such as the current one.

So in your opinion, short term we need _less_ stability than syncing
from Debian testing offers during Debian freeze.

Makes (some) sense, but unfortunately outside our options:

Assuming we could switch to track Debian unstable, that would also be
affected by the freeze.

Assuming we could switch to track Debian unstable+experimental, we would
have no way to distinguish
in-experimental-because-unstable-is-occupied-by-the-freeze packages from
in-experimental-because-of-horrible-experiments packages.

We cannot selectively track pet packages from unstable or experimental -
see https://tracker.pureos.net/T724#13610

Our options short-term are therefore limited to these:

  * continue track testing
  * switch to track stable

Medium-term - after developing infrastructure and/or hiring and getting
up to speed more manpower - there may be more options to choose from.

Now we can discuss what to actually do now , and we can discuss what to
start ramping up for attempting to maybe do in future.

We cannot discuss what to do now other than "nothing" or "slow down".

> Since other Debian-based distributions, such as Ubuntu are going to do
> this as well, it seems at least theoretically doable.

Yes, given enough resources (engineering, hands, and time), anything is
possible!

[ snipped vision/wish about abandoning Debian ]

 - Jonas