[PureOS] Let's stablize PureoS Green

François Téchené francois.techene at puri.sm
Wed Mar 20 09:24:23 PDT 2019

On 20/03/2019 12:47, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Quoting François Téchené (2019-03-20 12:09:38)

>> So in term of priority regarding the customers experience, we have the
>> following :
>>
>>   1 - Stability
>>   2 - Usability
>>   3 - Features
>
> Let me provoke you...
>
> So until the feature and usability improvements are stable integrated
> with the system, we should provide our users a system _without_ those
> improvements?

Well, that just represents priorities. It just means that Stability is
the top priority so we must make sure that Usability improvements don't
break Stability and that new features don't break Usability and
Stability. It doesn't have to be perfect, it is just a rule of thumbs
that we can implement the best we can.

> I translate that to basing PureOS on Debian stable, not Debian testing,
> even if that means missing out on GNOME 3.32 and libhandy.
>
> (except on the phone where Debian stable is "too stable" i.e. broken).

No, what I mean is that we are not just a Debian mirror but we are
developing projects (GNOME) in order to build the experience we wish to
give to the Librem customers. This is not only for the phone but also
for the Laptops.

It is what my workflow proposal is underlining. The fact of being a
mirror of Debian stable for everything we don't develop (the core
system) while adding, on top of that stable base, up to date versions of
what we put our effort on => GNOME

So you should translate that to basing PureOS on Debian stable, then
porting, after making sure that new features don't break stability,
GNOME 3.32 to that stable base.

Cheers,

François

--