[PureOS] Let's stablize PureoS Green

Jonas Smedegaard jonas.smedegaard at puri.sm
Wed Mar 20 10:51:33 PDT 2019

Quoting François Téchené (2019-03-20 17:24:23)

> On 20/03/2019 12:47, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > Quoting François Téchené (2019-03-20 12:09:38)
>
> >> So in term of priority regarding the customers experience, we have the
> >> following :
> >>
> >>   1 - Stability
> >>   2 - Usability
> >>   3 - Features
> >
> > Let me provoke you...
> >
> > So until the feature and usability improvements are stable integrated
> > with the system, we should provide our users a system _without_ those
> > improvements?
> >

> Well, that just represents priorities. It just means that Stability is
> the top priority so we must make sure that Usability improvements don't
> break Stability and that new features don't break Usability and
> Stability. It doesn't have to be perfect, it is just a rule of thumbs
> that we can implement the best we can.
>
> > I translate that to basing PureOS on Debian stable, not Debian testing,
> > even if that means missing out on GNOME 3.32 and libhandy.
> >
> > (except on the phone where Debian stable is "too stable" i.e. broken).
> >

> No, what I mean is that we are not just a Debian mirror but we are
> developing projects (GNOME) in order to build the experience we wish to
> give to the Librem customers. This is not only for the phone but also
> for the Laptops.
>
> It is what my workflow proposal is underlining. The fact of being a
> mirror of Debian stable for everything we don't develop (the core
> system) while adding, on top of that stable base, up to date versions of
> what we put our effort on => GNOME
>
> So you should translate that to basing PureOS on Debian stable, then
> porting, after making sure that new features don't break stability,
> GNOME 3.32 to that stable base.

Let me try rephrase to something I can recognize as actionable:

I translate it to basing PureOS on Debian stable, not Debian testing,
missing out on GNOME 3.32 and libhandy at first but winning that back as
soon as we have the resources (manpower, infrastructure, etc.) for
maintaining the needed delta from Debian.

NB: I am not convinced that above is best for us to do¹, only trying
here to align design team needs with PureOS team abilities.

Personally I believe strongly in aligning very closely with Debian -
differentiating from Debian only in *choices* but not code content.

I believe that by getting _closer_ to Debian, we can with _little_
manpower manage _two_ flavors of PureOS:

  * PureOS 8.0 "green" - rolling release based on Debian testing
  * PureOS 10.0 "blue" - a mature OS based on Debian stable

*both* flavors would follow exact same design principles.

Laptops can choose either, phones can only use "green" for now.

Debian will eventually support flatpak and ostree and whatever.  When
they do, we can consider embracing that.  If we need it sooner, then we
can step up and pay developers (in-house as we do with the phone team,
or by directly hiring Debian developers, or whatever) to speed up
development until mature enough that Debian adopts it.  It is to me
*not* an option for PureOS to embrace features Debian cannot adopt.

 - Jonas