[PureOS] Bits from PureOS | Sharks!

Jonas Smedegaard jonas.smedegaard at puri.sm
Fri Oct 25 03:27:26 PDT 2019

Quoting Jeremiah C. Foster (2019-10-25 00:23:32)
> On Thu, 2019-10-24 at 19:25 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > Quoting Jeremiah C. Foster (2019-10-24 18:40:53)

> > > No. The blocker is;
> > >
> > > 1. A blog post holding the announcement of EoL for PB
> > > 2. Consensus from the maintainer (that's you!) of PB that this is
> > > what
> > > we're going to do
> > >
> > > I'm happy to write the blog post. How do you feel ending the PB
> > > fork
> > > maintenance?
> >
> > Thanks, I'd appreciate if you wrote the blog post.
>
> Will do!

Thanks!

> > If I were to decide, then I would wanna end PureBrowser fork *now*
> > before next release expected in few weeks, and expected to
> > reintroduce
> > Mozilla- and Google-promoting stuff currently ripped out.
>
> Agreed. This seems like good timing.

Good.

I then recommend to prioritize that blog post, because what I hoped
would be a few more weeks ended yesterday:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce/2019/msg00201.html

The gist of it is "...could potentially result in the execution of
arbitrary code, information disclosure, cross-site scripting or denial
of service" - i.e. scary shit!

I recommend these actions:

 1. Include firefox-esr from Debian into both amber and byzantium
 2. Change germinate packages to include epiphany and not purebrowser
 3. Drop purebrowser from both amber and byzantium
 4. Tell users to *immediately* remove purebrowser from their systems,
    replacing instead with either epiphany or firefox-esr.
 5. suggest users moving to firefox-esr to migrate by once running
    "firefox-esr --migrate" from command-line

Step 5 probably requires Mladen or João playing around with it to
confirm it is the best way and maybe put up a guiding web page.

Step 4 depends on step 1, and step 3 probably depends on step 2.

 - Jonas