[PureOS] Bits from PureOS | Sharks!

Jeremiah C. Foster jeremiah.foster at puri.sm
Fri Oct 25 09:57:31 PDT 2019

On Fri, 2019-10-25 at 11:15 +0200, François Téchené wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 10/25/19 12:23 AM, Jeremiah C. Foster wrote:
>
> > I think that our overall focus has shifted somewhat out of
> > necessity. I
> > think that we focus our efforts a bit lower on the stack as it
> > were, on
> > the Window Manager, Mesa, kernel, BIOS, and even at the hardware
> > level.
> > That is where Purism I think has had the largest impact and where
> > the
> > company differentiates itself from comptetitors. On the software
> > side
> > higher up in the stack, things like PureBrowser take a great deal
> > of
> > effort as you know better than anyone. The effort, especially
> > recently,
> > doesn't seem to be appreciated upstream. When I discussed our
> > changes
> > and our motivations for the changes with Mozilla, they were
> > uninterested in our use case. Also, as we've seen, they make lots
> > of
> > changes which are disruptive to users regardless of whether we rip
> > them
> > out or keep them.
> >
> > While Epiphany is not in the same place as Firefox in terms of
> > features
> > and usability, we are investing more time and effort there. I think
> > it
> > is time to make the switch.
> >

> I agree with that.
>
> The idea is to make a consistent experience between the phone and the
> laptops. Epiphany is not mature enough yet and needs to be improved
> but
> it is already in a state where it can be used on a daily basis.
>
> I made the experience of having Mathilde, my wife, who is not
> technical
> at all, to use Epiphany for a couple of weeks on my Librem 15 and she
> hasn't complained much so far (only about having to adapt to the new
> UI).
>
> To me, now is the right time to make the switch, as our user base is
> not
> too significant. It may change when the phone will get to mass
> production in a few months.
>
> There will be some unhappy users of course but I think that it is
> what
> will push us to invest in Epiphany the right way, to make them happy
> again. This investment has already started with the development of
> the
> phone and now we need to push this software to compete with Firefox
> and
> Chrome. This will never happen if nobody uses it.

Thanks Francois - valuable input. Some of this information I'm going to
use in the blog post announcing the move. :-)

Also, there's a security issue with the upstream code I've been
informed via the Debian Security mailing list and Jonas:
https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/source-package/firefox-esr

This is going to be a focus in the near term.

Regards,

Jeremiah