[PureOS] Byzantium versioning

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Mon Dec 7 17:45:07 PST 2020

Am Mo., 7. Dez. 2020 um 16:16 Uhr schrieb Guido Günther <agx at sigxcpu.org>:

> Hi,
> On Fri, Dec 04, 2020 at 02:37:57PM +0100, Guido Günther wrote:
> > Hi,
> > since we're dropping phone specific package for byzantium we also ought
> > to drop `+librem5.X' in the version numbers. Matthias, what would you
> > suggest here so that we generate higher version numbers in byzantium
> > when backporting a package to both amber and byzantium to be consistent
> > whith the rest of PureOS but also have a higher number than the current
> >
> >     <upstream>-<debian-rev)pureos+librem5.<revision>
>
> For the time being addin `+byzN` at the end of the version number
> will do:
>
>         1.0-2pureos+librem5+byzN

I think that's an okay-ish temporary workaround - unfortunately
1.0-2pureos1 isn't considered a higher version than
1.0-2pureos+librem5, so I see no other way to do this transition.

> For new upstream versions we can drop the librem5 postfix since there's
> no difference between laptop and phone and we can do
>
>         1.0-2pureosN
>
> for byzantium¹  and
>
>         1.0-2pureosN~amberM
>
> for amber (when backporting the byzantium version to amber).
>
> Does that make sense?
> Cheers,
>  -- Guido
>
> 1) according to https://tracker.pureos.net/w/development/packaging_overview/

Yes, that's exactly how this should look like, I think - the phone
packages wouldn't be treated any differently than regular PureOS
packages, going forward.
Makes a lot of sense to me :-)

Cheers,
    Matthias