[PureOS] Droping the Uploader field in d/control within PureOS?

Jonas Smedegaard jonas.smedegaard at puri.sm
Sat Sep 25 13:16:34 PDT 2021

Hi Matthias,

Quoting Matthias Klumpp (2021-09-25 20:02:41)
> Am Sa., 25. Sept. 2021 um 19:04 Uhr schrieb Jonas Smedegaard
> <jonas.smedegaard at puri.sm>:
> >
> > Quoting Carsten Schoenert (2021-09-25 18:08:11)

> I'm late to the party, but there actually is/was a rationale for
> keeping the Uploaders field intact: It's simply that we don't need to
> modify it for PureOS as all packages are effectively team-maintained
> by PureOS developers anyway, and by changing it there would be one
> more thing to amend and one more delta to Debian to take care of. So
> leaving it as-is is just a convenience/laziness issue ;-)
>
> I have no feelings in either direction for changing the status quo (if
> we do, having a tool like Ubuntu's update-maintainer[1] would be nice
> though...)

Thanks for the historical insight, Matthias.

I certainly think that we should provide accurate information - and as a
minimum we should comply with Debian Policy which defines the Uploaders
field as containing...

> List of the names and email addresses of co-maintainers of the package

https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#uploaders

I.e. I find it misleading for that field to contain email addresses of
*upstream* co-maintainers.

 - Jonas