[PureOS] DEP14 branch naming for backported security updates from Debian in PureOS

Carsten Schoenert carsten.schoenert at puri.sm
Sun Apr 3 03:52:14 PDT 2022

Hi,

I've looked into the Synchronization issue list in landing and noticed
that util-linux, which has PureOS specific modifications, has got a
security update in Debian bullseye by version 2.36.1-8+deb11u1.

PureOS has currently version 2.36.1-8pureos3.

Backporting this security update isn't that difficult. But while working
on this I came to the point to commit the modifications. :-)
But I feel the branch pureos/latest wouldn't be the correct branch as
latest implies that the data is quite the most recent stuff.

Yeah, we are talking about landing which follows bullseye, but looking a
bit further there a lot of backported versions for PureOS are put into
$latest or into pureos/byzantium (correctly in my eyes) within the L5
world I'm thinking putting such security backporting work within
packages that have PureOS specific modifications should be done also
within a branch pureos/byzantium called.

Before doing more work in that corner it would be good to have some
consensus about that topic. :-)
What do others thinks? Maybe I've overseen some already similar revised
packages.

--
Regards
Carsten Schoenert