[PureOS] DEP14 branch naming for backported security updates from Debian in PureOS

Guido Günther guido.gunther at puri.sm
Mon Apr 4 09:18:20 PDT 2022

Hi,
On Sun, Apr 03, 2022 at 12:52:14PM +0200, Carsten Schoenert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've looked into the Synchronization issue list in landing and noticed that
> util-linux, which has PureOS specific modifications, has got a security
> update in Debian bullseye by version 2.36.1-8+deb11u1.
>
> PureOS has currently version 2.36.1-8pureos3.
>
> Backporting this security update isn't that difficult. But while working on
> this I came to the point to commit the modifications. :-)
> But I feel the branch pureos/latest wouldn't be the correct branch as latest
> implies that the data is quite the most recent stuff.

It is my understanding that `pureos/latest` points to the newest version
in PureOS. Which in this case would be your security update as
2.36.1-8+deb11u1pureos1 is newer than 2.36.1-8pureos3.

Once byzantium + 1 opens `pureos/latest` will move to that
(similar to what Debian does) and for what you'd do above you'd use a
pureos/byzantium branch.

This should be confirmed by Matthias and/or Jeremiah.

Cheers,
 -- Guido