[PureOS] Bits frm PureOS | Buster edition

Nicole Faerber nicole.faerber at puri.sm
Mon Jul 8 07:41:13 PDT 2019

On Mon, 2019-07-08 at 10:26 -0400, Jeremiah C. Foster wrote:
> Congratulations to all the DDs on this list for their work on Buster!
> Thank you! I'm sure there are many, many people out there grateful
> for
> your contribution.
>
> My next question naturally is; is PureOS Green going to continue to
> track Buster? This was a question we brought up in March:
> https://lists.puri.sm/pipermail/pureos-project/2019-March/000069.html
>
> A broader discussion followed that thread and while the shape of
> consensus seemed to emerge, there were some threads left dangling.
> Now,
> as we're being asked by other stakeholders what are plans are, I'd
> like
> to be able to announce that PureOS Green is tracking Debian Buster.
>
> May I make that announcement?

Well, I do not want to command anything here but I would appreciate the
plan very much. At some point we need to start stabilizing PureOS. It
took almost two years for Buster to be released and I think we can not
afford to wait another two years for the next Debian 11 release. So
better bite the bullet now than later. I also think that we will rather
sooner than later need to provide a stable OS distribution to
commercial and enterprise customers, for which the current rolling
release based on testing is not suited.

Of course there are challenges involved, like needing bleeding edge
packages for the phone which still did not make it into Buster. For
these we need to find ways how to accommodate the situation - be stable
but still for some hand curated things have more current bits and
pieces. Also this problem will not solve itself with the next Debian
release, it will stay the same and next release there will be other
newer packages we need for $SOMETHING. So also here, better try to come
up with an acceptable solution now.

Yes, it will hurt a bit, but like removing a band-aid - postponing it
does not solve the pain, better do it now and quickly :)

> Regards,
> Jeremiah
Cheers
  nicole