[PureOS] Bits frm PureOS | Buster edition

Jonas Smedegaard jonas.smedegaard at puri.sm
Mon Jul 8 07:58:20 PDT 2019

Quoting Nicole Faerber (2019-07-08 11:41:13)
> On Mon, 2019-07-08 at 10:26 -0400, Jeremiah C. Foster wrote:
> > Congratulations to all the DDs on this list for their work on Buster!
> > Thank you! I'm sure there are many, many people out there grateful
> > for
> > your contribution.
> >
> > My next question naturally is; is PureOS Green going to continue to
> > track Buster? This was a question we brought up in March:
> > https://lists.puri.sm/pipermail/pureos-project/2019-March/000069.html
> >
> > A broader discussion followed that thread and while the shape of
> > consensus seemed to emerge, there were some threads left dangling.
> > Now,
> > as we're being asked by other stakeholders what are plans are, I'd
> > like
> > to be able to announce that PureOS Green is tracking Debian Buster.
> >
> > May I make that announcement?
>
> Well, I do not want to command anything here but I would appreciate the
> plan very much. At some point we need to start stabilizing PureOS. It
> took almost two years for Buster to be released and I think we can not
> afford to wait another two years for the next Debian 11 release. So
> better bite the bullet now than later. I also think that we will rather
> sooner than later need to provide a stable OS distribution to
> commercial and enterprise customers, for which the current rolling
> release based on testing is not suited.
>
> Of course there are challenges involved, like needing bleeding edge
> packages for the phone which still did not make it into Buster. For
> these we need to find ways how to accommodate the situation - be stable
> but still for some hand curated things have more current bits and
> pieces. Also this problem will not solve itself with the next Debian
> release, it will stay the same and next release there will be other
> newer packages we need for $SOMETHING. So also here, better try to come
> up with an acceptable solution now.
>
> Yes, it will hurt a bit, but like removing a band-aid - postponing it
> does not solve the pain, better do it now and quickly :)

I am confused by above posts from folks I thought took lead with regards
to PureOS.

Is it still an open question _if_ we want PureOS green to track Debian
Buster, and that is what we discuss in this email thread?

Or is that already decided and instead the topic now is _how_ (leading
to _when_ it is adequately done that it can be announced)?

Those seems very different email topics to me.

 - Jonas