[PureOS] Bits from PureOS | Sharks!

Jeremiah C. Foster jeremiah.foster at puri.sm
Tue Jul 30 10:18:36 PDT 2019

On Tue, 2019-07-30 at 16:59 +0200, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> Am Mo., 29. Juli 2019 um 02:33 Uhr schrieb Jeremiah C. Foster
> <jeremiah.foster at puri.sm>:
> > [...]
> > Also, uploads to
> > Laniakea of certain packages are failing occasionally, something
> > Guido
> > has pointed out. We ought to speak with him to determine what the
> > issues are and to smooth out the upload process.
>
> All of the issues were in the uploaded packages so far (except for
> one
> sshfs mount issue months ago).
> The responsible component for handling uploads is dak (the Debian
> Archive Kit), which was sometimes giving less helpful messages, like
> the "No data." error recently when the .dsc file of the upload wasn't
> signed for some reason.
> I am very confident that all of these issues will go away once we
> have
> an automated pipeline for uploading :-)

An automated pipeline you say? Tell me more. ;-)

> The more pressing issue that we need to decide ASAP though is how we
> handle the PureOS-based-on-Debian-stable flavor of PureOS. I didn't
> actually receive that much feedback on the proposed solutions, and I
> don't want to just go ahead with the solution I like best without
> knowing that people agree with that, or some discussion about it
> first. Meanwhile though, our current users receive no updates in the
> green suite, which isn't a good state to be in.

It's not a good state to be in, I think everyone agrees. Let's try and
have a bias towards action, largely because if we move forward with a
given approach and it breaks, we can change it. Yes, that may be
difficult and messy (maybe not) but it is likely better than leaving
current green users without a best-effort approach to security by
bringing in Buster updates.

So, I'll express my preference here: green remains stable, we create a
new 'amber' rolling release.

The consequences are;

- We need to assign resources to update green with the security and
other updates from Debian. If you were to give me a login to Laniakea
Matthias I can go about documenting the process with your help. I can
be the resource for now and when there are other resources available,
we can add them.

- We need to create the new amber release and document to our users how
they may upgrade to that in their sources list.

Regards,

Jeremiah