[PureOS] Building my own PureOS ISO image?

Jeremiah C. Foster jeremiah.foster at puri.sm
Mon Mar 11 12:11:25 PDT 2019

On Mon, 2019-03-11 at 19:50 +0100, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> Am Mo., 11. März 2019 um 18:47 Uhr schrieb Jeremiah C. Foster
> <jeremiah.foster at puri.sm>:
> > [...]
> >
> > Re-reading this question the answer should be "no". I'm running
> > Clear
> > Linux on the host, I boot into PureOS via systemd-nspawn. So PureOS
> > is
> > running in a container.
>
> Ah! So, you are running debspawn in a PureOS container created with
> systemd-nspawn?

Yes, exactly.

> That's probably not a good idea, because it means you are nesting
> containers, as debspawn will create another ephemeral container on
> its
> own as well.

I think this is where the problem is as well. pagemap file appears to
map process memory usage from virtual to physical. I guess some process
is filling it up. Having a container on a container on a host makes the
debugging process a bit difficult.

> So I guess this behavior might be some kind of bug related to nesting
> containers (I am actually very surprised that nspawn lets you do that
> - I never tried that but always thought that it wouldn't work anyway.
>
> Cheers,
>     Matthias
>
> P.S: Debspawn will probably work on any distribution that has
> debootstrap, but I don't think anyone has tried that yet.

debootstrap is on my Clear Linux system. I used it to create the PureOS
container and for various Debian chroots. The machine itself is quite
powerful; 8 core i7-8705G CPU @ 3.10GHz with hyperthreading. It makes
for a speedy build machine and I like the Clear Linux use of OStree,
but I think I need to move the machine to Debian or, alternatively, use
the other build script. There is no substantive difference between the
two build approaches is there, I mean aside from environment.

Cheers,

Jeremiah