[PureOS] Updating package gnome-software

Guido Günther guido.gunther at puri.sm
Wed Dec 8 00:52:41 PST 2021

Hi Carsten,

On Wed, Dec 08, 2021 at 08:57:21AM +0100, Carsten Schoenert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've taken a look at gnome-software yesterday, originally because the
> Package Synchronization Issue Overview is showing a greater difference
> between the version in the archive than available in Debian
>
> 3.36.0-3pureos1 vs. 3.38.1-1
>
> https://master.pureos.net/sync/landing
>
> Next I was looking at source.p.s to start a deeper look, but there are two
> repositories for gnome-software!
>
> https://source.puri.sm/pureos/packages/gnome-software
> https://source.puri.sm/pureos/core/gnome-software
>
> But in none of both trees I can find preparations for the current version
> 3.36.0-3pureos1 in byzantium.
>
> The first of the two repos seems to be mostly driven by the L5 requirements
> in the past, the other seems to be modified only by Matthias by one commit
> in two different branches.
>
> To decrease confusion I'd like to drop one of both trees or at least meld
> them together.
> This requires consensus what to do or what state to archive. So I want to
> ask how other members see the situation and which way to take.
>
> To me updating the first listed repo seems to cost the smallest amount of
> time given we would only need (want?) to add the PureOS delta from the
> current version 3.36.0-3pureos1 in the archive.

To add more repos to the above (but it can also make things simpler):
The Librem 5 uses PureOS store:

https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/pureos-store

which is a more recent, slightly rebranded gnome-software. This

- means that you don't need to worry about the phones when updating gnome-software
- it might be be an option for the Laptops to switch to PureOS store as
  well to be consistent - dropping the downstream fork of gnome-software.

Hope this helps?
 -- Guido