[PureOS] DEP14 branch naming for backported security updates from Debian in PureOS

Jeremiah C. Foster jeremiah.foster at puri.sm
Wed Apr 6 11:28:00 PDT 2022

Hi Carsten,

On 4/6/22 01:34, Carsten Schoenert wrote:
> Hello Guido, thanks for your feedback!
>
> Am 04.04.22 um 18:18 schrieb Guido Günther:
>
>> It is my understanding that `pureos/latest` points to the newest version
>> in PureOS. Which in this case would be your security update as
>> 2.36.1-8+deb11u1pureos1 is newer than 2.36.1-8pureos3.
>
> I've no problem to follow the explanation of your understanding, just
> want to be sure I'm following the correct way. From a technical side the
> naming of the branch doesn't matter in the end but once something is
> pushed to GitLab it's history.
>
>> Once byzantium + 1 opens `pureos/latest` will move to that
>> (similar to what Debian does) and for what you'd do above you'd use a
>> pureos/byzantium branch.
>>
>> This should be confirmed by Matthias and/or Jeremiah.
>
> Yeah, would be nice to have some feedback too from both. ;)

Apologies for being so late to the conversation. :-)

I have to say firstly that I appreciate your attention to detail and to
be honest have not really though through the implications, like you
point out, of our policy. With that said, I also prefer Guido's approach
and am fine with you adopting it.

Best,

Jeremiah